One of the most soothing things I can think of is a warm pillow calming my stressed muscles. Even better would be a beautiful, herbaceous scent wafting up to relieve my racing mind. I love adding Mother Earth pillows to a massage session because I love how cozy they feel. I feel nurtured and who doesn’t love feeling nurtured. Someone put thought into this. The important part about adding extras is that it has to be something that brings your session to another level…maybe in a way that someone can’t explain but if I can leave someone feeling nurtured, seen, loved and accepted then I have done my job.
I found Mother Earth pillows through a podcast. It was a trusted Massage Therapist. I believed in her opinions so, on blind faith, I ordered some pillows. I wasn’t disappointed. I knew that I wanted my clients to experience the awesomeness of these pillows and even give them a chance to bring one home with them. After all, who doesn’t love to come home from work and have a beautiful warm pillow that will melt away the tension of the day?
Here are the reasons why Mother Earth pillows are worth your money:
It was started by a Nurse/Massage Theraist in Missouri who was looking for a way to administer Hot/Cold Therapy to her clients with high quality fabrics and dried herbs from her own garden. The beginnings of this company started with an old Singer Sewing Machine in her basement and moved into a commercial location when word got out how amazing her pillows were. She has since sold her company to a spa located in Missouri and they continue her mission to offer the highest quality pillows for everyone to enjoy.
They are made in the USA. The pillows are made with natural grains, herbs, spices and fabrics and all pillows are still hand-made.
They come in a variety of sizes and shapes to support wherever you may have aches and pains.
They have pillows made for children, with colorful patterns. There are sensory pillows that have weight to them and fabric rings to pull on. Perfect to help soothe a child that may be feeling overwhelmed or would like some comfort before a nap or bedtime. They can come in scented or unscented.
They create pillows that everyone can enjoy: “The Mother Earth Team is dedicated to creating only the most quality therapeutic pillows for salons, spas, massage therapists, veterinarians, dentists and physician offices, chiropractors, physical therapists, nursing home and assisted living facilities and consumers of all types, including pets, children with autism, athletes and anyone (person or animal) that is seeking relief from muscle and joint pain, arthritis, inflammation, sensory disorders, headaches, sinus pain, nausea, post-surgical concerns, chronic illness, fatigue, sleeping disorders and desiring overall relaxation.”
Everyone that has used Mother Earth pillows (or has purchased one) is completely smitten with them. You will be too! Ask to use a pillow in your next session and you will never want to use an electric heating pad again.
I have used lots of oils from a lot of different companies. LOTS! As a massage therapist, I have searched for years for oils that hit the mark. After all, I am using these oils on my skin too. I want my clients bodies and my own body to be getting the highest quality oils I can find. Not only that, they have to be great for the masses. I don’t need an oil that a large percentage of people are going to have an allergy to. I believe that I have found the blend that has worked the best for me (sunflower oil and rice bran) so I buy in bulk. This also means I need my oils to last a long time. So, where can I find an oil that has a long shelf life, is nonallergenic and has the silkiest texture? Cue Jojoba oil:
What is Jojoba?
The Jojoba plant is a desert plant native to California, Arizona and Mexico but has been cultivated across the globe in desert-like areas. The oil is actually not oil but a liquid wax and it is the closest thing to human sebum (the oils our bodies produce) so it is highly compatible with our skin. According to Hobacare (the company I get my Jojoba oil from), “Jojoba is nontoxic, nonallergenic (the extract is pressed from a seed, not a nut, and is safe for consumers with nut allergies), and noncomedogenic since it won’t clog pores with its sebum-compatibility. Being a liquid wax with very low levels of triglycerides, jojoba does not easily oxidize, making it remarkably shelf-stable and able to withstand heat without any loss in its properties, unlike most plant oils.”
Jojoba for every day use
Because of its compatibility with all skin types, Jojoba can be used to moisturize the face and body. It conditions the hair and beard. It is great for massage because it is nonallergenic and it is a thicker oil so you don’t have to use a lot. Jojoba feels light on the skin, absorbs quickly and has no scent. No leaving the massage room feeling like you just took a bath in oil. All the ways to use Jojoba:
- Can be used as a face and body moisturizer - ALL skin types will love Jojoba. And a little goes a long way. You can use only a couple of drops for the face and it will be enough.
- Safe enough to use on babies - cradle cap and diaper rash don’t stand a chance!
- Perfect for essential oil blends - Love aromatherapy? Jojoba is perfect as a carrier oil and can be used in salves, lip balms, beard oils, salt scrubs and more.
- Beard oil and aftershave care - Jojoba is great in beard oils (or on its own) and is great to soothe the skin after shaving.
- Excellent Make-up remover - add a couple of drops to a cotton pad and hold the pad to your eyes for a few seconds to allow for the oil to absorb into the skin and watch the days make-up wipe away! Wash your face as usual and then add a couple of drops to your hands and moisturize your face with jojoba.
- Safe for our furry friends - does your dog have a hotspot? Rub a little bit of jojoba on the area to soothe the skin and help it heal. It can also be used to condition the coat and skin. Just rub a little bit on your hands and smooth it into their coat. They'll love it!
- Other uses - Jojoba can condition wood furniture; wood cutting boards, children’s wood toys, furniture, garden tools, applied to metal to prevent rust, leather gloves, hand bags or garden gloves can also be conditioned with Jojoba (apply to a small area first to make sure it doesn’t change the color too much).
Where to buy Jojoba oil
From me, of course! I buy my Jojoba oil from the best company, HobaCare. You can learn about the company buy clicking here. Another small business and based out of Maine, HobaCare (or the Jojoba company) is “the only company in the world producing a First-Press quality jojoba where we emphasize quality over quantity in our specifications for pressing the jojoba seeds. Because we only press the best from the seed, HobaCare Jojoba feels light on the skin, absorbs quickly, and has virtually no scent – far superior from all other jojoba on the market.” They only source their Jojoba from one place; their own farms. That way they know they are producing the post jojoba oil.
Ask me about Jojoba oil at your next session or purchase it on my booking site. I have 4 oz and 8 oz bottles. Both of these sizes could last a while. Looking to buy a larger size? Let me know and I can get it ordered for you! You can look at my online booking site by clicking here.
- They are a small, family run business based out of Hingham, Wisconsin. The story goes they were tired of paying crazy prices for essential oils so they took matters into their own hands and started their own essential oil company. You can read all about it on the website by clicking here.
- They are transparent about the purity of the essential oils - Their essential oils are sourced all over the world by small, ethical farms. They even have a third party test oils for purity and post the results on their website. Some essential oil companies rest on their reputations so they aren’t completely transparent about the purity of their oils. This also means that their essential oils smell amazing!
- 13% of their profits go to ending a global pandemic; human trafficking. As a Massage Therapist, I can get behind this. No one deserves to be exploited so they send a percentage of their profits to companies that fight to end human trafficking. You can even see who they send their money to on their website.
- Their prices are amazing! Unlike other companies, Simply Earth prices are affordable. Since they aren’t an MLM company, you are not paying for several peoples salaries. For example, A 15 ml bottle of Peppermint with Simply Earth is $12.99. You will also see the GC/MS report (this shows you what chemicals are found in the batch). The same bottle of Peppermint from DoTerra is $32 (with no report of its purity) and Young Living is $32.57 (with no report of its purity). I am using these two companies simply because they are the most common companies I hear from clients when they say they use Essential oils. That is quite a difference in price!
- They have excellent customer service! I am all about customer service and I tend to turn away from companies that are terrible at it. Any time I have had an issue or just a general question, they are quick with a response.
I tend to be a snob when it comes to Essential oils. I have run through quite a few Essential Oil companies looking for my favorite. Simply Earth truly has delivered for me. My favorite blend is Bumps and Boo-Boos. I use it in Jojoba oil as a facial moisturizer as well as a sunburn and bug bite soother. I diffuse their Breathe Easy blend in my massage room. I have several clients that love their Sleepy blend as well.
Simply Earth is a great company to get behind. We need more companies like this that are compassionate and do their part to make the world a better place. The next time you are in my office, ask to take a look at some of their products. You won’t be disappointed.
Summer may almost be over but this is still an important thing to do. Let's look at some ways you can prevent and detect skin cancer.
Cover up with clothes and sunscreen.
As a rule of thumb, cover up as much as possible. Be sure to wear a broad-brimmed hat and UV blocking sunglasses. Use broad spectrum (UVA/B) sunblock with SPF 15 or higher every day. If you’ll be active outdoors, opt for a water-resistant, UVA or UVB sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher. (Sunscreens should be used on babies over six months of age.)
Avoid harsh sun and tanning.
Avoid getting a sunburned at all costs. Skip the tanning and never use UV tanning beds. The sun is strongest between 10AM and 4PM, so try to avoid the sun during these hours and find some shade. Make sure to keep newborns out of the sun.
Perform a head-to-toe self exam.
The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends everyone practices a self examination every month. Skin cancers found and removed early are, more often than not, curable. You may find having a doctor perform the initial examination will help assure you that any existing spots, moles or freckles are totally normal and treat any that aren’t. After that a routine self exam shouldn’t take you longer than 10 minutes.
Get your partner involved.
In addition to seeing your physician annually for a professional skin exam, have your partner keep an eye out for any changes in your skin. Sometimes they see parts of our bodies that we don’t see everyday (like the small of our back or behind your neck). Have a discussion about the importance of paying attention to changes in your skin and make sure you return the favor by keeping an eye on any changes on their skin.
Get regular massages.
First, you should know, it’s not up to your massage therapist to check you for signs of cancer, but it definitely can’t hurt having an extra set of eyes on you! When you are a receiving regular massage, your massage therapist will become familiar with your body and all the little markings that go with it. Sometimes, a massage therapist is a first line of defence since they will notice if a birthmark, freckle, or mole has changed size or shape.
Prevention is only half the battle. And hopefully it’s the only battle you will ever face. If you should happen to find yourself in a different battle, the early detection of skin cancer is paramount. The sooner you catch it, the better your chances are of beating it.
Enjoy your summer, but remember to protect yourself from the sun and bring ANYTHING suspicious to your doctor immediately.